Friday 25 May 2012

Poor service from FNB bank in South Africa

I may mean in Hout Bay, South Africa but the resident bank manager informed me that all First National Banks have the same low teller to customer level.


The logo says ' How can we help you?'

We went to our local FNB branch in Hout Bay about a week back, we needed some personal assistance and also to do some overseas transactions, it was around 10am on a monday morning. Jean and I  could get in one queue each and do one of the two things we needed to do, I went to do the banking side while Jean was going to do the overseas side.

When we went into the bank we found a large queue waiting to use the ATM machines, there was a large queue because we were told there was no money in the machines! One lady was creating a lot of noise at a card service teller because of this, we later started to understand why.

At the two desks with assistants, one left as we arrived and did not return in the long period we were there, I was about five or six down the line waiting for the one and only remaining  assistant, I waited some twenty minutes just to move along the queue one place, by the time I had been attended to, there were seventeen waiting in line for the one assistant.

I asked the bank manager why there was so little staff in her branch, I received what I think is a standard reply, 'Sir, all FNB branches work with the same staff to customer ratio'  it took me some while to make her understand that while that may be the case, it was wrong and I may be forced to find another bank with a better staff ratio.

Its clear to see that all SA petro chemical  companies selling petrol on the forecourt realised this a very long time ago, no service? well find another petrol station, banks will go the same way? We need to vote with our feet, who needs bad service.

So how was Jean doing with her overseas transactions? well the girl who does that, had been told to load money into the ATM machines, so her post was empty and we could not process our requirements untill she had done that task.

While we waited, customers wanting ATM cash sevices were saying that none of the FNB ATM machines in Hout Bay had any money that morning.

I ask you, why should we work with such a poor service bank?

Roy

One of my blog viewers comments on a similar problem, this is at the same FNB bank branch and the in the same time period.


I saw your comments on FNB – don’t even start me on them – last week I queued (correction – I sat with the teller) for 75 mins to get a bank cheque drawn at Hout bay – I walked into managers office and complained – she said she’d check the cameras as if she didn’t believe me. This week I had a major saga dealing with COMPLETE IDIOTS – its too involved to explain – I would move banks but they all seem the same . . .