Sunday 20 May 2012

Huco petrol pump replaced

This is a good service report!

06-06-2012
The sales service department of Huco have just sent a follow up email about what they have found.


I have sent an e-mail to Germany asking them about the diaphragm, and have also sent your pictures to them… following is their reply:

The material the diaphragm is made of, is named “Hytrel 6356”.
it’s resistant to regular gas, premium gas, methanol, ethanol and diesel.

Only bio diesel is not permitted for the pump.
A problem, like the one shown on the picture is not known to us, if the pump is used
with the above mentioned fuels.

I can’t help but wonder if there was not some kind of additive in the South African fuel which might have caused the deteriation of the diaphram.

Kind regards

Dirk

My reply to Dirk mentioned the fact that the LRP petrol in the Jaguar S type can go off and cause a smell because of lack of use of the car, did the fuel degrade and form some other chemical?

You may want to read what this was all about first?

http://ckdboats.blogspot.com/2012/05/huco-fuel-pump-failure.html

I sort of got the replacement Huco fuel pump replaced myself, Carl of Smiths Auto Spares tried himself but the Huco agents refused to recognise my claim.  I felt I had a valid case,as even though my Huco pump was well past its normal one year warranty, the fact that the car it was fitted to had only clocked 1150 road miles and that the 1966 Jaguar 3.8ltr S type it was fitted to, has two tanks means the pump had only lifted a max of 150 litres in its life.


I had returned the faulty pump back to Smiths Motor Spares where I had bought it about five years before. Smiths asked to Huco agents to inspect it and would they exchange it for a new one?



This took some months and having handed it in around November 2011, it was returned to me early in 2012, Huco refused to replace the pump. I then left the matter alone for a few months and later decided to try and get results myself?


This is Riaan, Carls brother, he is reading a print out of an email from  Gower & Lee,a UK parts supplier, they have revealed what modern fuels are doing to the spare parts market world wide. The blue box has my new Huco fuel pump in it.

The new pump with the required filter.

I started a few weeks back and for once used the blog for my own use, can I make the Huco company take notice? I found Huco in South Africa but no direct way to make contact by email. This was not the case with Huco in Germany, the parent company.


Make sure you have the correct pump for the application, this 443020 suits a car with the pump near the tank, its suitable for engines to a 3ltr size.

An email to the export guy in Germany just brought an ' out of the offfice ' message and I never did get a reply from him. This was not the case with another email and this time to the company CEO, I had a reply from Christian within the hour!

Thats impressive and with the sending of few more mails, the problem was discussed and I was promised a new pump. I was next contacted on phone by the sales manager in Boksburg (?) South Africa. He informed me that a replacement pump would be sent down to the Cape Town office in the next few days. I had a second phone call the next day to tell me they had the pump and would deliver it to me the next day.

The Cape Town rep is named Yunus, he duly arrived at my door the following day with a brand new pump. We found the pump was the suction type while I need a push type pump, this was replaced by one being supplied the next day, by sending one at my request to Smiths Motor Spares in Paarden Eiland.


A general view inside Smiths Auto Spares, I have been buying my car spares here for many years now,Thats Hassan center of the long counter.

A mail to The Imp Club on the new petrol issue.
Hi Grahame (editor Impressions) http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/

Thought you’d be interested to hear about the solution to leaking O-rings for the Stromberg carbs that a lot of us use…… It appears that many people in the UK and elsewhere are running into problems with rubber in the fuel systems perishing with our governments using ethanol in our petrol. Roy McBride mentioned this to me a couple of days ago and asked whether I knew what the kits I had bought used.

I have bought a couple of carb kits from Gower & Lee in Watford (Ph 01923-247300) and the chap who did the work commented that he’d never seen such good kits – comprehensive and good quality although pricey at £55.72 for a kit for both carbs. Anyhow, I e-mailed them and asked what they use for the o-rings (described on their website as –'O' ring for float chamber plug – item #27) and they came back to me very promptly telling me that they ditched all their old stock of o-rings and diaphrams, etc. and replaced them with stock made from VITON which they say is suitable for fuels that contain 5% to 15% ethanol.

Thought it worth giving them a plug as they have proved their worth to me over the last few years…

Best Regards,

Eric

...the Beancounter


Contact Hassan or Carl for good service, I think Riaan was just standing in for Carl his brother the day I was there?

SMITH'S MOTOR SPARES
Phone:021 511 5313
Fax:021 511 3562
Physical Address:
46 A Paarden Eiland Rd, Cape Town, 7405
Postal Address:
PO Box 78, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town, 7420
Why did my pump fail? It was the diaphragm that failed.

What I learned from the various parties I discussed the issue with at Huco, was that my pump was South African assembled with parts supplied from Germany, the pump was marked as being made in 2005. Those pumps were pre unleaded petrol, we had that unleaded and LRP (lead replacement petrol) petrol intoduced around 2005/6, I had been sold an old stock item, which was suitable for the old petrol only?

This took some while to sort out but the end result was what I wanted.

Roy

July 2013.

I later received an email from Roddy who has his late dads V 12 Jaguar , Roddy had the same problem as I did but in duplicate.

I gave Roddy the contact details and this was todays report ( 18/09/13)

Hi Dirk

I have had a very busy last few months and am only going through my papers now

I am not sure if I ever thanked you but, many thanks for the replacement fuel pumps for the units that were leaking

Best Regards

Roddy

So what have we  discovered?

The company Huco is one to be trusted and I would buy from them again and would like to think you will also.

Roy