Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Huco 443020 / FP2 fuel pump failure

My 1966 3.8S type Jaguar has two petrol tanks and two SU fuel pumps, after 46 years the one SU pump still works but the other one failed some years back.

I called at a well known motor factors in Paarden Eiland, told them the car and the  problem, they then sold me a Huco (german make) fuel pump, fitted it worked just fine.

Note: they supplied a Huco 443020 type FP2 pump, this was in fact the wrong pump for my application, the FP2 pump should be fitted at the engine end of the system, in my case the FP3 Huco pump should have been supplied.



File picture.

The Jaguar had just had a new cylinder head job done, at the best of times we use the car very little but over the next four years, I added about 1150 miles to the milage on the clock.



My Huco 443020 fuel pump as it looked this morning before I stripped it.

Then last November I noticed a smell of petrol from the rear of the car, I checked the old SU pump, fully expecting that to be the cause, it was not.

The new Huco pump was at fault, tested on the bench it was clear to see that petrol was coming out of the end where the red plastic cover is, the electrics are in that end.



The warranty was long gone, they offer one year only, mine was around four years old and had pumped some 575 miles of petrol, given the cars two tanks, we can split the use, so lets say all of 26 gallons, thats 123 litres only?



These pictures will open if you click on them.

Check the distortion from the LRP ( lead replacement petrol) the diaphragm has perished and allowed the petrol to go through it and out of the other end of the pump

The motor factors sent the Huco 443020 / FP2 back to the importers, after around three months it came back and with no warranty cover or offer of a new pump.

By mid May 2012 I have decided to contact Huco in Germany and I am pleased to report with excellent results.

Thursday and 24 hours later, I managed to email the CEO of Huco, Germany, he came right back and we have discussed the problem, I am told I will be contacted by his Johhannesburg office re a replacement pump? It does seem that my red capped Huco pump is old stock? more on this as and when it happens.

Friday, no contact and no offer of a new pump from the South African Huco pump agents as yet?
I think its clear to see that the pump I was sold was old stock and pre unleaded or LRP fuel, the pump was suitable for the old leaded petrol but not the new types?

Monday and the South African office for Huco have made contact with me by phone, they will re supply me with a replacement pump. My thanks to Christian in Germany and to Dirk in South Africa, for good service as it should be !

Tuesday, a new pump was delivered to me today, thanks for the great service Huco!

Roy
Hi Roy

Thanks for the link. I have clarity on the issue, and will be shipping a new replacement pump to our agent, Yunus, in Cape Town, who will deliver it to you. I have asked Yunus to contact you and make arrangements for delivery. He should have the replacement pump within two days.



Roy
From the web:

Applications for HÜCO fuel pumps Advantages of the HÜCO fuel pumps

To replace mechanical pumps in all vehicles (except for injection pumps, fitted near the engine)

To replace electrical pumps in all vehicles (except for injection pumps, fitted near the fuel tank)

In additional heater and cooling systems under certain environmental conditions a) when alcohol/ fuel compounds are utilized b) in hot regions where fuel easily evaporates c) in regions located above 1.000 m

For industrial applications whenever liquid has to be delivered

a) fuels: premium petrol, regular petrol

b) mixed-fuels: methanol, ethanol

c) Diesel fuel

The pump is self-priming and stops when no fuel is needed( energy saving)

Needs not necessarily be fitted below the tank (self-priming) ­ Extended working life since the pump is not affected by wear and tear

Perfect functioning over many years

Low operating noise ­ High performance

Low weight

The pump is corrosion- proof

The pump is resistant to methanol and ethanol

The pump is switched electronically and excludes any radio interference


( it does all that and leaks too)

How great is that.

Roy

A response from a friend in the USA who is rebuilding a Lotus.


Hi Roy,

That is a sad story, thanks for the warning.

My immediate thought was that the modern fuel with 10-15% ethanol might be the root of the problem but their text says that it is OK with ethanol. Maybe they source their diaphragms from China.

 Regards