Thursday 30 November 2017

The Dix Design Didi 38 hull turning event

I was there to lend a hand that day.



Click on the image to enlarge it

The boat had been built upside down, using the scaffold tower we had ropes and man power to turn the hull the right way up.

This day was the spark that ignited my own desire to build by the same method, I later built a Dix 43 .
The boat was later named Black Cat and became a very well known ocean racer, the South Atlantic Ocean has been crossed four times now, plus she won her class in the race to St Helena and what is named The Governor's Cup race.

http://www.governorscup.co.za/

One correction, Black Cat has crossed the South Atlantic 6 times, in 1996, 2000 and 2017.
.
From Dudley Dix.

You are in some of the other pics in my big box of photos. 

This is the one that I have used over the years because it shows the boat best. 

The people in it, from left, are Dick de Kroon, my Moms cousin, Brian Alcock and Sean Collins. You can see my head just above Sean at the transom.


This whole series of designs has proven very successful and just keeps going. I now have pressure from various people for Didi monohull designs from 50-65ft and a cat of 65ft.


No comments:

Post a Comment