Sunday 31 March 2013

The rollers at Jamestown,St Helena Island

I subscribe to an on line news letter put out from St Helena Island, the pictures below are taken from one of those news letters, many thanks.

Having been there twice and also having had the pleasure of  having a Saint at home here in Hout Bay for tea, I am always keen to see and hear more about that island.


The first visit I made was in 1977 sailing on Brer Terrapin, an Atkin 38 Ingrid design. We stayed around ten days and saw no rollers but were advised they can happen at any time.
 
Seeing is believing and I now understand!
 
That's the Jamestown harbour stores and offices behind the wall.
 
While any at any time we are told to expect the rollers, I would assume the northern hemisphere winter months will cause the larger storms which generate the swells. This means that for South Africa, our summer months, November, December, January, February and when the SE trade winds are at their best we may arrive at the island and find the rollers?
 
I never did, how lucky was that!
 
There are now twenty pick up bouys laid for the use of yachts, laid by professionals, I read that
they used 500 meters of stud link chain to keep them secure. They are well to the left of the lower picture, I assume in a position not affected by the rollers?
 
Roy