Tuesday 25 December 2012

Turner Climax, circa 1960

We have been asked to supply some Coventry Climax stickers to complete a Turner Climax sports car, I must say the car looks great, seen here at Brands Hatch race circuit.


The Coventry Climax engine is 1220cc with a class limit overbore.  In 2013 the car will be campained as a race car. How alike the Austin Heally this car is!

From Alan:

Engine size? Well, I have to be a bit circumspect here (Homolgation and race specs may be an issue!). The Turner originally had a Coventry Climax FWA engine (1198cc?) but when they were holmogated in 1962 - after getting Class wins in the Sebring 12 hour of that year - or so I am told, the owners had upgraded the engines to ones out of the Lotus Elite., That would be the FWE engine of 1220cc.


But my engineer pal, who has always loved the Climax engines, has taken an FWA and after working his magic, we have an FWA bored out to 1298cc. That would be the 1220 limit plus an allowable overbore. I don't have any current pictures as the car is being re-fettled down at his place, but some early pictures are attached.

Cheers

Alan






Roy



We have seven units left from this batch, at R20 each, plus postage they are well priced.

The Coventry Climax logo and seen here on a I967 Singer Chamois.

Mail from Alan, the owner:


Here's a couple of pictures of my little Turner Climax. Top one is at brands Hatch where we are shaking down the car (blew the engine up on that day and we've only just got it re-built!! Hope to start Historic Racing in 2013! and the second one is in my driveway.