Saturday 6 October 2012

A Stayrite mens watch, its Swiss made!

A year or so back I posted an entry on a men's Grosvenor watch with a gold case. I looked around and found the same case was also sold as a Rolex!

Today I re discovered another men's watch, my late fathers, its old and looks it too, the name on the face is Stayrite and this far I am finding it hard to find any information on this brand at all?


The strap pins are fixed, so I think this watch will be around 50 to 60 years old, does anyone know?

I have now done a search and found nothing excepting a mention of a Stayrite ladies watch on Ebay, it went no place and if it was a posted offer it's now been removed.



This Stayrite watch has really nice face markings, I think if the case was re chromed and the watch cleaned I will have a fine classic watch!



The stainless back says antimagnetic, shock-resist and also waterproof, I wonder is it? that's quite a claim for a watch this old, who was making Stayrite watches and when?



The series number is 1671, that's not a very large number if the numbers are build sequence  related?


I now need a decent watch maker?

Roy

Note, a friend who collects watches asked me to inspect the face or the case of the watch with a magnifying glass, he thought I may discover a maker's mark or similar? I had a look and found that inside and on the frame of the workings, the words Swiss Made, so at least we know where it came from.




March 12th 2023  I have retarded the watch as much as was possible, it was still running faster than acceptable. 

Left until April 18th 2023, I part wound the watch up again and put it on my wrist, then later left over night in a cupboard, I found it had kept reasonable time by the next morning, so I am now wearing the watch again!