Tuesday 17 July 2012

Why restoration of an old yacht is expensive

This may also be named ' Why building a new boat from a kit makes sense" check the pictures out, the boat is a by now classic and very dated Holman and Pye design, we know quite a lot about her.


Keith Fenn (r.i.p) aboard his classic yacht in Saldahana at the jetty SBYC, I think it was Keith who remaned the boat Moonchild? We met up with Keith and his lady at the Marina Gloria, Rio do Janerio, Brasil, they had just sailed out from Simonstown in South Africa. Keith told me he had just discovered a diesel fuel filter on the boats engine he never knew existed!

Notty and I  sailed back to Cape Town in an Endurance 37 in 32 days, Moonchild took about 56 days?

Morning Roy,

I only discovered your blog recently and then spent the best part of the Easter weekend evenings reading them backwards in date till I reached the very first one.

Although I live very far from the mainstream sailing activities which you write about, I do however have a few bits of random knowledge to share with you.
I made some cryptic notes as I read your blogs.

Frans Loots.

Here goes:

Moonchild. (Launched as Spindrift)

It was good to see you referring to Moonchild.

I knew Moonchild since birth.

I grew up in Port Elizabeth and started school in 1963. The build of Moonchild was started round the corner from our house the same year as I started school. 12 years later I matriculated and a few months after that Moonchild was launched in Port Elizabeth.

The boat is a Holman and Pye Rummer- Class yawl and she was built by the late Ray Langton. She was launched as "Spindrift" and the name change came after she was sold by Ray round-about 1980/1981.

Ends.

My thanks to Frans for reading all of my blog and for filling in with so much detail on Moonchild (Spindrift) I first saw her in Hout Bay with a cruising family on board, they were from up the east coast, they did a lot of work on the boat including the spray dodger. They never got to cruise further as I think the parents split up.

Roy




When this selection of pictures was taken at the Elliot Basin,RCYC, Cape Town, the boat had been sold at least once and by now Peter, the TBA new Commodore, was doing some serious restorations.


This is a lot of work your looking at, in the time Peter took to strip the paints back and then sand,seal and repaint a new build in kit form would see a new hull ready to fit out and then do the decks.



This may be a real classic design but as the trip back from Rio prooved its a slow boat and really labour intensive, wet too I would think?

All pictures were taken by R McBride using a Canon FT film camera.

Roy