Saturday 27 December 2008

Governor's Cup Yacht Race entry,Running With Scissors



Picture of Jamestown,St Helena island


St Helena Isle tourist site logo


St Helena Yacht Clubs burgee


V&A Waterfront logo



RWS leaving the CKD Boats premises in Paarden Eiland,Cape Town.
Didi mini transat in ply/epoxy,up to 100kgs lighter than some GRP moulded designs and at a much lower cost.


Governor's Cup 2008 Entrant - 5 November 2008

Col, Lionel Dyck

I am a 65 year old paratrooper turned sailor. After a life inland in tumultous Africa I came to Simons Town to settle and sail. Up to now my hobbies have been ultra distance running and mountain climbing. I have climbed most of the big peaks in the Western Hemisphere including Aconcagua in South America. My business ( as a consultant now ) takes me to such exotic places as Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan, to name a few. I decided that to go to St Helena by yacht, on my own, would be a change to the airports of Bagdhad and Kabul!

My wife Clare is the worlds greatest supporter of sailing, as long as I do not ask her to sail ! Our children are no longer around when I need a shore crew so it is a very single handed affair.

The Boat:
Running With Scissors. She is a lively mini Transat ( 6.5 m ) Originally built to do the Bahia race, she had technical problems and did not start. After much reconstruction she is now ready. It is a boat designed for a 25 year old Chimpanzee, and is therefor perfect for a 65 year old gorilla ??

No comments:

Post a Comment