Saturday 9 June 2012

Marauder, a good wooden boat

This boat has been around since I arrived in Cape Town back in 1968, she was one of the best boats on the water then and as this picture I took last monday shows, there is nothing much thats changed.


You may well question why I have posted the picture of a power boat that is not one of our CNC cut wooden boat kits?  The reason is quite simple, Marauder is a wooden boat, now at least 45 years old and still in good service. Designed by Renato Levi, she was a classic when launched and will remain so for a very long time.


The hull will be in a cold molded timber, probably laminated with resorcinol glues, she would last longer today using our laminating and constuction epoxy.


pictures by R McBride

My first life raft came off this boat when DOT decided the three RFD ones on the boat were not suitable for a commercial fishing boat. I bought one of the two six man rafts for R1500.

Roy