Thursday 4 November 2010

Nick Franklin,inventor and designer of the Aries Wind Vane.

I was looking for a parts list on the web site for my own Aries vane gear,when I noted that the picture of Nicks smiling face now had some dates added,it was a record of his life being 1943 to 2010,such a shock and loss for us all.Not quite believing what I was seeing I made contact with Helen,Nicks daughter for her confirmation,her reply is below.

Farewell Nick,your passing will never be forgotton,Roy McBride.


Nick Franklin 1943 - 2010.




Always there in the sound of the sea and the cry of the gull.


http://www.ariesvane.com/index.html


Dear Roy, I actually meant to write to you to let you know that my Father had died at the end of May and had put the thought to one side to do later.

He was motoring out in his dingy to meet his grandson, Nick was so proud as Ari had just completed his first single handed crossing from Portugal to Falmouth in 3 days.

It would seem that he suffered a heart attack and drowned, by the time someone noticed the empty dingy puttering along and started searching it was of course to late.

He was 67 and I don't think there are many people who could have packed as much into a life as Nick managed to do. He widened the horizons for thousands of sailors and conducted his business honestly with great integrity unlike so many as you describe.

At his funeral the fishermen of Portloe all said that he was one of their own because without him, his shed with his lathe none of them would have had servicable boats. Somehow that seems to sum my Dad up.

Best wishes, fair winds and good sailing, Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment