Sunday 16 May 2010

Yamaha P320 turntable belt and stylus

The Yamaha turntable, Sony radio amplifier and Akai tape deck were all good products when bought by me new, will they work now?
The album, On Every Street from September 1991,was Dire Straights last album,which may be when my turntable was working last?
Calling Elvis, anybody there?

The opening words off an old 33 rpm vinyl record I have from a Dire Straights album were heard once more, Roy had decided to hunt down a new drive belt that broke at least a decade back. That album is called On Every Street, its a great one too, distributed by Vertigo code # STARL 5836,on CD its STARCD5836. We have a great many LPs (long players) as the old style records were called, some go back to the mid sixties, music that can not be found on CDs.

Finding a new drive belt and stylus was never going to be easy, not in Cape Town, or so I thought, looking on Google I found the belt was type FNB 23.6, which are how many inches long it is, the belt is 3/16" wide.In metric the belt is around 583mm long and 4mm wide?

I found a belt for sale easy enough in the USA, its a common one used on many brands of turntable,with a price of U$7.50, plus another 6.50 to postage we were looking at Rands 105, not out of order but out of the country, whats local I thought?

I found a used record shop in Rheede Street, Gardens,Cape Town,
Mabu Vinyl - The Cape Town Music Store, 2 Rheede Street Gardens , Cape Town 8001. Contact: Stephen ... The Cape Town Music Store. Mabu Vinyl is the record, CD, DVD, cassette, book, ...
www.mabuvinyl.co.za/ -

they advised I try a well established audio shop in Maitland, on Voortrekker Road, named Radio Discotheque, its been there close on forty years I hear? they used to supply a night club named Blaises, on the top of what was then Sanlam Center, twenty two floors up, in the mid seventies when I worked there some nights as a DJ.

www.radiodisco.co.za/

try Ian or Vanessa on phone 021 511 4559 she emailed me back to say they had lots of belts and stylus and would I take the turntable in for matching with new ones?  I took the turntable in early on Saturday morning and spoke to Ian, the new drive belt was fitted for me, tested and the stylus arm was balanced too, with a new stylus the price was a very modest R200, or about U$27, no problems with that at all, it was great service from a shop that really does know hi-fi, give them a call if you need anything. Of course we now have a huge range of music to listen to again and guess what, vinyl audio sound is actually better than CD, its got a lot to do with the depth of the pressing track and the type and quality of the stylus you use. Next I have to see what music Mabu Vinyl have waiting for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment