Tuesday 2 March 2010

The commitment

The Mc Brides family yacht,Ocean Cloud arrives in Punta Pargo,Venezuela,
Left click the picture for a larger image,the camera was my Canon FT with a 50mm 1.4 lens and Kodaks Ektachrome pro slide film.

Some times the larger picture is best left unseen,I have built a number of boats for myself,stopping while you work,to ponder just how you will ever mangage to finish what you have started is a very backward move,the last time I thought like that I said to myself 'Roy never ask your self that again',I never did and I finished the boat just fine.

I think its important to only attempt to build what you can handle build size wise,both physically and finance wise,recently we had a sometimes caller visit to say he just had to have a 40ft yacht,any other size was too small,he wanted the Didi 38 as the stretched 40ft option,there is no bother in that but as the Didi 34ft is still a lot of boat for he and his wife,it would have been a good option as well,costs rise as size grows,the guy never came back,he was maybe asking out of his pocket book allowance,better to build small than not build at all.

Also never sit with a blank page and add up all the items needed to finish your new build,the numbers can look massive but what happens as we build is deals and offers just arrive,free adverts in Sailing Magazine here in RSA have worked wonders for me,they will for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment