Wednesday 9 September 2009

Pilgrim,a new John Welsford design


Designed in New Zealand




This looks like a small boat but at 5 meters long it is anything but that,a perfect size to trailer sail and with a drop keel,you can launch in shallow water too.We will be supplying plans,materials and a kit,some words from John:

Pilgrim

Family daysailer or adventure cruiser.


Length. 5.00m 16 ft 5in
Beam 2.11m 7 ft
Draft Centerboard up. 0.48m 1ft 7in
Centerboard down. 1.17m 3 ft 10in
Sail area 15.1 sq m 162 sq ft
Dry Weight Rigged 480kg 1056 lbs
Ballast 210 kg 462 lbs

In my teenage years I sailed an 18 ft gaff rigged centreboard yacht around the Hauraki Gulf near my home just north of Auckland New Zealand. This is a wonderful area for cruising a small yacht with harbours every few miles, islands and peninsulas to shelter behind and thousands of square miles of beautiful warm blue water.

That was 40 plus years ago, and its been a while since I had a chance to revisit some of those coves and bays. Recently the thought that I should plan a “Pilgrimage” to refresh the memories came to the fore and I began a project that would see me in the same area in a boat of similar character to the one I sailed all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment