Friday 24 April 2009

Brasil,Peters Place,Lucas writes about his visits.


Peter and friends,note the whisky bottle on the floor.


The spectacular view from Peters house.

Its not surprising more people than I liked going to Ilha Grand and meeting Peter who had his own beach with a house set in the palm trees,Peter made many friends,one has just contacted me and this is his mail.

Hello sailor !

This mail is to thank you for bringing back old memories of the paradise
beaches of Ilha Grande and my great friend Peter Thoeriddle.
I lived for well over five years (1966-1972) with wife and three daughters
in a beachhouse on Jacuacanga Bay where I was the production manager at the
Verolme shipyard when that was still a Dutch enterprise.
Already from the verry beginning Peter new to find me when he needed some
assistance for odd repairs or tubboat transportservice to his beach.
An open invitation to Arrueiras followed and many weekends my family and he
spent barbequeing and drinking prohibited smuggle whisky and caiperinhas on
the beach after wich we mounted his overaged jeep for a swim at praia Lopes
Mendez.
Reason that I found your nice fotograph ( I have one from the same spot) is
that one of my advantouch granddaugters sailed in march as crew on a Volvo
Ocean 60 -Nova One - from CapeTown to Rio . I therefore opened Google Earth
and found your photo.
The last few weeks she boarded a Brasilian wooden tourist ketch and is now
sailing up and down that area from Rio to Paraty and thus crossing the
waters where her mother spent so many happy years.
I saw your nice Blog but I did not find a way to enter this with some
fotographs.
.These I took in 1984 when I was for business in Brasil with my wife and we
took the opportunity to look Peter up for a last time.
I am now a nearly 80 year old retired shipbuilder and a fanatic yachtsman
and I want to thank you again for bringing back these good memories.

Lucas R.Fabriek

No comments:

Post a Comment