Saturday 23 February 2013

Model boat kits?

I am not sure what the marrket is on this one, we would need to get the designers backing on certain of his designs, one thats already been built is the Cape Henry 21, by Dudley Dix.


This is Freds, he is in Seattle, USA and made this to get the feel for what he would be doing on his full size boat kit we sold him.

I think we would have to cut, then build the boat and record each stage with words and pictures, then we can offer a kit and also a builders manual, need a number of firm orders and deposits before this was undertaken.

An enquiry this morning came in from Australia on the same boat design as a kit, my reply is below.



Hello Andrew,

Thanks on your mail.

We have discussed this idea and one builder of a Cape Henry 21 who was waiting for his kit we were cutting For him, asked Dudley Dix if he could produce a model from his plans.

This was allowed and the model turned out very well. I discussed the idea of making models with Dudley, he feels an owner can manage that ok, he has the plans but a scaled down kit without the plans would be hard to assemble, this Is where we are now on the idea.

Regards

Roy

Fred sent an email about his build, read it below:


I have found satisfaction and challenge - skills honed, and confidence improved as well, with the model construction over a scaled building frame. It will generate interest wether static display or RC.

I should have milled the stringers out of Mahogany or another dense wood, as the hardwood Balsa - while lighter and pliable - didn't take kindly to pressure when planks were attached, and I had several 'blow outs' to repair. =) In kit form, I suppose that ink marking where stringer notches belong could get around the cnc 'minimal cut' limitations?

A modeler could use a small square file to produce these. I cut the notches out with my bandsaw and a small file. For RC, I think such a kit would need a long metal fin with weighted lead bulb? Centreplate on mine is scaled to Dudley's plan, and of wood, which could be swapped out for such if removed from display stand to be sailed.

 I'll research 'best' model sail 'cloth' at some point, and suspect that those who sail such craft use a particular lightweight, waterproof material. Maybe ripstop nylon? Anyway, some thoughts...