Wednesday 28 August 2013

How to make Kye, is it a traditional Liverpool drink?


This came in today and reminds me when I used to ask my mother for a Connie Onnie buttie, which is bread and butter and a condensed milk filling!

Roy


From: "margaret greer" <margogreer1@msn.com> 
Subject: [ENG-LIV] Connie- onnie sandwiches 
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:39:59 +0100

Or known in Liverpool as connie-onnie butties. Condensed milk, used during WW2. Fresh milk was scarce unless you owned a cow. Many people spread it on bread to make a sandwich, it tasted very nice and we kids used it as a substitute for sweets. My mother-in-law apparently ate it all the time whilst she was pregnant and my husband weighed 11lbs.

I also remember special margarine which was disgusting and dried eggs. Everything was rationed. My grandchildren don't believe me when I tell them what we DIDN'T have.

MargaretGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

 
Below is a recipe from Chris, a merchant seaman, it sort of fits in with the connie onnie buttie!
 
Instead of drinking beer how about brewing up some traditional 'kye' during cold winter days.

 
1. Break a small bar of plain dark chocolate into pieces ( or use Bournville powdered cocoa ).

2. Place pieces in a saucepan with one mug of hot water.

3. Heat up until the chocolate has melted.

4. Add one tin of condensed milk.

5. Bring to the boil and serve in mugs.

6. Add sugar to taste.

 
I came across kye when sailing with Safmarine. Our usual port of call was Southampton. However the dockers were full of crap so the line decided to discharge in Liverpool instead. I was a cadet and when the pilot came on board he wanted kye instead of tea or coffee. Fortunately the radio officer was a 'Scouser' so he knew the recipe.

 
Best

 
Chris

(Durban, South Africa)