Tuesday 25 September 2012

Front disc brakes for Hillman Imps

This subject has seen at least two Imps in Cape Town and Johannesburg converted to front disc brakes in the last year or so. The two cars in Johannesburg are both racing at Zwartzkop, the two cars in Cape Town are road cars.


This picture was supplied by the maker of Imp front brake conversions in the UK, he also shipped two sets to Hout Bay this year, click on the picture for a larger view.



This is the set I fitted to the Imp sprint car early this year, I now intend fitting a similar set up on our 1967 Singer Chamois and find I need a set of Ford KA or Fiesta brake calipers, can anyone help me with a set?

 
Note the yellow striped road springs, they are lower Monte Carlo competition springs. Some standard South African cars had the same marking but they are a normal length spring.
 
The discs we can get off the shelf as an after market part, its the calipers I need.


Roy