Tuesday 19 June 2012

We Shall Overcome, the album by Pete Seegar

I saw Pete Seegar live in Liverpools Philharmonic Hall, it was a concert to remember and probably around 1965 or so, by which time the song We Shall Overcome was very well known to all of us. The place was full, so was the stage behind Pete, the event was well over sold and those lucky enough to be able to buy stage seat tickets did!   http://www.liverpoolphil.com/


Recently I have been trying to find some of Pete Seegars music and on vinyl, I had asked Brian of the used record  stall, Bay Market, in Hout Bay to find me some of Pete Seegar albums. It took a while, one was too scratched to be worth playing, then Brian handed me a copy of the album recorded at the Carnegie Hall Concert back in  June 8th 1963. What a find, I noted that Brian gave me the record June 8th 2012, so exactly 49 years after the album was recorded and in the USA. I doubt it was ever released here?


Was this album cover a later issue, one for me to watch out for anyway.

Pete Seegar the singer is still around, he turned 93 this year and is still entertaining, well done Pete.  http://www.peteseeger.net/



Roy