Tuesday 19 June 2012

On the slip at the Royal Cape Yacht Club

My introduction to the RCYC was around 1974, that was as a visitor and finding I had an interest in ocean going yachts. I spoke to a yacht owner about the costs, he was an ok guy and said well lets start with a boats ballast. His own yacht was a GRP 45ft job that was moulded up in JoBurg,very nice center cockpit and a Van Der Stadt design, by coincidence I have the plans to that boat here someplace.

He went on to say that the boat had five tons of lead in the bottom of the keel, we then worked out the cost back then, it was plainly out of my cost band, I would not be building my own boat anytime soon it seemed.
Today that lead will be worth R135,000, or around U$16,200 or so?


Ocean Planet on the RCYC slip, this must be around 1985? and after the South Atlantic race where Ocean Planet was an entry as Tal-Gal, an all girl crew entry.

 Taking your boat up on this rig on your own is quite easy, assuming there is no strong wind. The method is to use the rigs existing lines, then when your secure, they will bring you up far enough for the keel to bottom out. Then you make off a decent set of lines to the mast and all round, an aft spring is very important when being pulled up!

The route I took and in 1977 was to work my way onto a friends Ingrid 38 which was wood, I work with wood, so did the friend but as a tree surgeon, so he could cut trees down while I could fix and repair them.

The years went by, I returned to Cape Town after a years work in The Sudan, I found the Endurance 37 hull was being moulded in Knysna, I phoned them arranged for a visit and soon was on my way back to Cape Town with a brand new GRP hull on a road trailer which was part of a rig owned by Chris Wray Foreshaw, an ex Rhodesian farmer who came to South Africa bringing his gear with him. The cost of the hull? well back then just R4500, I took the option of the moulded in cockpit too, with bulkheads it was an extra R920.

The ballast was still to be paid for, I needed around three tons, and found it free at Barlows heavy machine repair yard, Catapillar track link pins! Bellamy Masts supplied the bare alloy mast at R1300, the brand new Faryman 30hp diesel and related shaft gear was R4500, it happened to be one of three that Reeds Motors had brought in as a trial order, I paid their land cost to clear it, we could afford yachts and yacht fittings back then.

How nice was that.

Roy