Sunday 21 February 2010

Rope works tradition lives on

Its nice to see that tradition lives on in Hout Bay,at least rope wise that is,some years back I spliced all my mooring dock lines to stainless thimbles myself with some help and demonstration from a friend named Nick,recently when my line chaffed through,I asked Lars on the boat next to me, if he can do an end to end splice for me,this is the result,as you can see its very neat and has saved my spliced end and the line is back in use.

Nick is a pro boat captain,Lars is a pro diver and fisherman,recently Steve on Dixi Rollar sailed off,Steve is yet another man who can splice lines,Lars tells me that Anna on the boat next to him, is better at splicing than he is.On our last long trip on Ocean Cloud,we had Simone aboard,she did a Turks Head around our steering wheel to show its center postion,she also crafted a Monkeys Fist on a throwing rope end, when it was known we were about to meet up mid ocean with yacht Four Skippers to exchange our cold beers for their warm ones.Not forgetting Charles of Figaro V,another ex pro diver who can splice lines with the best of them and all this in our harbour too!
Left click to view the pictures full screen size.

No comments:

Post a Comment