Friday 17 October 2008

Lowe and Halversons last wooden trawler build?



Brer Terrapin,RCYC Small Craft Basin,with the RCYC club house in the background, the picture is from a postcard,circa 1973



The logo of the Traditional Boat Association,which is based in Cape Town,its members are world wide.

Cape Towns TBA was founded around 1993 to keep the memory and spirit of traditional craft alive,membership is inexpensive and open to all,a monthly newsletter is issued and dicussion groups meet on the last thursday of each month,normally with guest speaker.You will find them at www.tba.org


This I can not be sure of,I took the picture from the deck of Brer Terrapin,a yacht I sailed to Brasil in in 1976,I was away a year,in that time another such boat may have been built but I never observed one after my return from the Sudan.At this time the vessel is un named but someone will know her name,the name Hesko was mentioned,she was lost but I dont think this is the same boat,does anyone know?
The boat was taken out of a shed in parts,it then was assembled as you see,this took days to raise the keel,then the frames,it was a awe inspiring event to witness,thats the slopes of Table Mountain and Woodstock in the background.

Jul 1974 Hesko Fishing Vessel 66 South Africa Off Henties Bay Sank, lost

The above is proof that my picture is not the Hesko,as she was lost before my picture was taken?

No comments:

Post a Comment