Sunday 24 June 2012

Toylander drive chain adjustment made simple

The chain and sprockets we are using right now are standard bicycle stuff, we think its easier to use a 1/8" British made standard chain and sprocket in the future. Adustment to remove the slack in the chain has been an issue.


I started by adjusting the 12 volt drive motor upwards, this became a bit hit and miss using plywood shims, I have now changed the way the rear axle fits to the body, check the next picture.



Check the way the nuts are both spacers and lock nuts, I can now adjust the axle and make it higher or lower with ease, this tensions the chain. If this works the idea will need stronger bolts to take the loads. The four studs and nuts with washers are holding the 12 volt drive motor in place.

Note, I used a second hand sprocket set to start, on closer inspection I found that the new chain was out of gauge with the old sprocket, causing it to jump. Anew set of sprockets is being fitted today.

Roy