Thursday 7 June 2012

How to service the Yamaha P-320 turntable

With vinyl records making a bit of a come back, my own audio system has been seeing regular use.. The system is nothing startling and in fact its got a low output Sony amplifier that just puts out 20 watts per channel.

The speakers to me are special being Goodmans Mezzo 2, said to be the best of the best when they came onto the audio scene around thirty years back?
The turntable is a Yamaha P-320 and looking at its inside, plus the cast alloy turntable disc, its clear to see Yamaha  made that well too.

http://ckdboats.blogspot.com/2011/09/speaking-to-your-selfhow-hard-can-that.html


The Yamaha P-320 turntable, bought new in July 1990 from Hamrad with the Sony multi function amplifier, its now 22 years old.

This was writen about by me before, about two years back.




The turntable rubber mat when removed reveals the very nice alloy disc, to the left is the access to the rubber band drive belt, which fits around the the underside of the disc and around the drive motor rotor.

Recently I have noticed a noise in the left hand speaker, I checked inside both speakers and discovered nothing, switching left to right did not help, neither did new quality twin flex cables, I then supspected a fault in the Sony amplifier?



Disconnect the power supply and remove the complete stylus mount when your working on the table.

 I then thought to check the turntable out, making it 100% level certainally helped, I increased the anti skate bias as well, the sound was by now much smoother and clearer, I used a Matt Bianco album to get a good selection of musical instrument sounds.



When the alloy table was removed, I found a probable cause of noise right away, the rubber belt drive pin was quite loose, plus it had a central and uneven build up of rubber that had come off the two belts used in its lifetime, this I managed to remove with my finger nail. On closer inspection I found the rubber bushes around the mount screws had shrunk.


I then removed each screw one at a time and replaced them using a thin rubber washer, the drive pin was now secure. Note the by now clean drive pin surface. New drive belts are available
locally in Cape Town.



With the bottom cover screws removed, this includes the four spring mounted rubber feet, I could access the works and see if any obvious faults existed?
The drive motor is the small round item on the right with yellow,white,black and red wires coming from it.



Remove all 10 screws, lift the metal cover from the side closest to you in the picture, hinge it back and then find the small earth cable in the back left hand corner, do not break the cable or its soldered joints.



The Yamaha drive motor, I brushed the inside of the player to move dust, then vacumed it clean.



To refit the alloy table, mount the drive belt on it, then fit the table on the center pin, you can then access the belt and move it over to the drive pin, a toothpick will suit this job.



The model number.



Ready to play again, make sure you refit the rubber mat the right way up.


Check the three crossed tuning forks, proof that its a real Yamaha!


Yamaha P-320 turntable info.

A test play had me listening to some clean and pure audio sound, the fix worked but I still get feedback from the left speaker when the stylus is down and I tap the plastic dust cover lightly, why?

I now suspect the stylus fitting, as fitting another stylus reduced the side noise.

Roy

Technical stuff.

Specifications

Drive system: belt drive
Motor: v servo dc motor
Platter: 300mm, 0.9kg, diecast aluminium
Speeds: 33 and 45rpm
Signal to noise ratio: better than 70dB
Wow and flutter: less than 0.04% WRMS
Tonearm: swinging straight arm
Effective length: 222mm
Overhang: 16mm
Tracking force: static balanced 0-3g
Effective mass: 11g
Offset angle: 23 degrees
Dimensions: 435 x 111 x 378mm
Weight: 5.8kg

Downloads