Tuesday 23 June 2009

Brer Terrapin,the leaving of Cape Town


It is said that the departure and the arrival are the best part of any voyage,while I can understand the feelings behind this thought,its probably true that as long as when your leaving,its because you want to,the entire voyage is just as important as the rest,its been this way for myself anyway.

In this picture taken by myself in 1977 and at the RCYC,in Cape Town,Frank with the red hair and the Sea Point High School top,is being said goodbye to by Clair,I suspect Frank was a little upset to see us depart,as it was Frank who cycled from his Green Point home on most days after school to help us prepare the boat for our coming atlantic crossing.

Watching on is the boats skipper/owner Dennis,he is holding his son Ryan,with fellow crewmember Trixi and her dad watching on,it was a moving experiance.
Picture the property of Roy McBride

1 comment:

  1. Hello Roy,
    We owned "Rainmaker" and spent some time with you guys in Cape Town and Salvador, Brazil. You guys took my husband Peter out on the town one night in Salvador, I was furious and scared stiff staying alone on the yacht overnight. I also clearly remember one day we rowed by in the dingy, and Denis was up the mast, he shouted "look to the left in the water", and the biggest turd I have ever seen floated past. Ha ha so long ago. Whats Dennis up to? cheers Michelle Bjorseth

    ReplyDelete