Friday 20 March 2009

David R Hassall ham radio man,call sign WA5DJJ

Davids QSL Card.


One of the ships that Dave served on in the US Navy.
USS RANGER (CVA-61) from January 1963 to October 1965. I was a Electronics Technician First Class and had just completed Electronics Technician "B" School and the factory school on Automatic Carrier Landing System AN/SPN-10. We landed planes on this carrier using that system.

WA5DJJ IS THE NEW MEXICO AMATEUR OF THE YEAR 2003

At the Albuquerque Hamfest in August of 2003 David R. Hassall was honored by the New Mexico ARRL Section as the New Mexico Amatuer of the year. I am shown here receiving my award from the ARRL Section Manager Bill Weatherford KM5FT (on the left) and Warren G Morton WS7W Rocky Mountain Division Director (on the right). This was a very great honor for me to receive and it was greatly appreciated.



Roy writing here:
I am not a licenced amateur radio person,my radio operators licence covers marine SSB HF and VHF channels,which is fine for my boat use and does what is required for marine communications but I have always had an all band receiver and great interest in amateur radios and the interesting persons who tend to use them world wide,hence my series of QSL (confirmation of contact) cards to be found on this blog site.

Some months back I was looking for an old work mate,he emigrated to SA too,his name is/was? David Hassall,so searching the web I did indeed find a David Hassall but as it turns out not the one I was looking for.This David signs his return mail back to me '73 David',which in amature radio speak,is a way of signing off,was this David an amateur radio person? So I asked David and he returns my mail saying yes he is and this month will be his fifty years as a ham! quite remarkable.Below is a return mail from David when I asked for his Picture and QSL card for this blog.

David writes:
I have the QSL Card and the Picture and will attach them to this message. Sorry it took so long to get back to you ..
but I just happened to check the Spam filter today and found your message down at the end.

Great on your ham radio adventures. You should have went and done the course. There are so many really neat
things to do besides jabbering away on 20 meters. I do meteor Scatter, Build little Transceivers in Altoid cans..
(you know - those little mint tins).. Now I am playing with Manned expermental Propagation Transmitters on 10.140
Mhz and working other amateur stations on Meteor Scatter. Meteor Scatter is where you bounce your vhf signal
off a falling star. It is wild. Keeps me from getting bored in my old age. Most of my activities are on my webpage.
Link is below.

Anyway ... Have a great week. Hope the qsl card comes out OK. It is a .pdf file... The Picture is a JPG.
73

Dave

David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
Email: dhassall@zianet.com
Website: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/

No comments:

Post a Comment