Sunday 30 November 2008

Bacardi Rum,Brasil,Puerto Rico,Mauritius



How it all started,with a fight?



Barcardi white,with five year old in the center,the left white is made in Purto Rico but bottled in Germany,the five year old in the center is from Cuba,while the bottle on the right is made in Purto Rico but bottled in the Bahamas!


Bacardi Purto Rico

My first offshore trip was to Salvador,Bahia,Brasil,on Brer Terrapin,an Ingrid 38 designed by William Atkin,this was a trade wind trip which saw us visit St Helena and Ascension isles along the way,some thirty one (31)Blue Water sailing days and with only a few days of hard weather,it was a trip to set me up for the rest of my life as a dedicated yachtsman.We soon got to know Salvador very well,this is not possible now due to safety issues but back then we could walk the city streets at night,stopping in at local bars and having a drink,before trying the next bar,it was one of these bars I got to know of Bacardi Gold,which is the correct blend to mix with soft drinks such as Coca Cola,not the white blend,their flavours being quite different,try it and see.South Africa only retails the more normal Bacardi White,dont ask me why,there is no reason I can think of to not sell other types,even to the point that when my daughter Janet did a weeks long Bar Keepers course at Grainger Bays,General Botha training facility,she argued with the lecturer that more than one type of Bacardi existed,he just would not believe her,in the end,she took in an empty bottle I had kept,she passed her course top of the class by the way.

When I later left Salvador I eventually arrived in the american island of Puerto Rico,it was there I learnt that they have a Bacardi distillery,which was open to tourists and they even allowed to to sample the goods after the tour,a bargain,or what!I can tell you I was super impressed,the facility was spotless,more like a hospital as far as I was concerned,it was after the tour we were intoduced to other types of Barcardi,white,gold,five year superior,they even have a fifteen year old blend I seem to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment