Thursday 13 February 2014

Porche 906 circa 1966 information wanted!

This comes to me by way of pictures I have posted of classic sports car racing in the past, can anyone help please?

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Dear Roy, 

My name is Yann Jules, and I am currentyl working on re-documenting the history of a Porsche 906 you and your friend Eric Wells may have seen in the 1960s when it raced in South Africa.

The current owner of the car is a good friend and asked me to find further documentation than what he already has.

I've noticed that you've posted some pictures from Eric from the period the car was in South Africa and I was wondering if maybe he had some of the car in his archives. 

Would you mind forwarding him my email and details? 

Thank you in advance.

 
Yann Jules


Now restored an looking magnificent.

 
Does anyone have pictures or information on this car?
 

Hi Roy, 

Wow, I didn't expect to get a reply so fast...

I was actually looking at the old pictures of the Cape Town 3 hours in the late 1960s.

The car I'm looking for is the dark green Porsche 906 Carrera 6 of Michael De Udy. It was raced during the 1966 9 hours of Kyalami (I have a lot of pictures of the car during this race, and De Udy crashed). 

It was also there at the 3 hours of Lourenço Marques in December 1966, the 3 hours of Pietermaritzburg (also known as the Roy Hesketh 3 hours), and two additional races in Kyalami and Cape Town in January 1967.  Then it came back to the U.K.

Attached is a picture of the car in the 1966 Kyalami 9 hours, before the crash, as well as a current picture taken a couple of weeks ago, and one from Le Mans Classic in 2012.

Thank you for offering to post the request for me, can you send me the link? I will ask directly, hopefully it will yield some results!

 Thank you very much for your reply.
 
Roy, 
A short note about the car: following the crash at Kyalami, it was repaired and later repainted. 
It is possible that in the races it entered after Kyalami, it already had its livery it had in the U.K. in 1967; light green with darker green stripes in the middle.
Thanks
Yann

 

Roy