Saturday 13 July 2013

Brer Terrapin, Durban and Cape Town

These pictures came to me by way of Ruth who was married to Pip Smith who built Brer Terrapin over a period of around seven years.


Dr Pip Smith and his baby son, I assume the place is in Durban where the boat was launched?
Click on any picture for a larger image.


Brer Terrapin, I assume in Durban harbour?


Out for a sail, the fenders tell me they were using a marina berth?


I assume that is Ruth on the helm?


I crossed my first ocean on this boat and sat in the same position many times.


Brer Terrapin is a ketch, seen here under full sails which look new, I assume the place is Durban and about 45 years ago. Designed by Atkin and named an Ingrid 38 , built in traditional carvel planking to a very high standard, where is she now I wonder?

My thanks to Ruth Smith and her brother in law Mike Smith for the supply of the pictures and information.

Roy