Wednesday 30 May 2012

Hands on boat building by George Buehler

I have never met George but we get on well enough by email and he sent me his must read book Buehlers Backyard Boatbuilding, this is a book for people like me.
Its not technical at all, just down to earth get out your old cloths and tools, then build yourself a boat. George has an ethic which says why use the best and new materials when we can build with recycled or a lower grade material.

From our side we looked at the timber required for the boats keel and hull frames, chosing to use local SA Pine, (radiata species) it was selected and twice treated with a CCA (copper) vacume application. This worked rather well, it saved a stack and we had prime timber to work with.

We recently discussed a much larger boat to the same design, done as a kit set here with all its materials, keel, stem, frames and rudder, we would send the kit boat to the client in Brasil.

Click on the page, it should open large enough to read it? otherwise I can send the scans to you by email.



About May 1999 I was contacted by a guy living in Zambia, he asked  would I build him a 38ft Diesel Duck in wood he asked? Seems he had discovered the TBA and when he asked around, some members recomended myself?

His wife came to see me and we discussed the venture, soon we had the plans and Georges building book, the pricing was done and an agreement made. I am not sure how Neil Rusch, the then editor of SA Yachting came into the picture but he had also done a story on a 50ft version which had been built in South Africa by a husband and wife team.

In the case of the 38ft Diesel Duck and in wood, our build was to be the very first in wood, all the others being made in steel but I have done this process before, use the designers steel boat plans and build a wood/epoxy boat.


When Neil arrived I was setting out in my small factory in Paarden Eiland, I later moved to a much larger shed in Cape Town Harbour to build the actual boat. Neil and I discussed the process and who else could use what I was doing? Costs were low, really low, using local materials for the frames and the first stage planking, then WBP plys, plus epoxies, we still had a materials cost under R80,000, just U$10,000 at todays exchange rate?

This boat was the very start of http://www.ckdboats.com/ as this was our first kit, the idea was to sell to fishing communities so that they could self build, their labour was free, the kit low cost and the boat very sea worthy.

The boat was launched and last I saw her was in FBYC waters, her name is Miss Pickles!

The story in more detail is here.  http://ckdboats.blogspot.com/2010/03/diesel-duck-38-traditional-build.html

Roy