Thursday 20 October 2011

A sailing Lynnhaven canoe?

We get asked can a Lynnhaven canoe be fitted with a sail,if so whats involved? I think wewill have one very quickcanoe with this rig on it,as the boat length is twice that of an Optimist.


Some words on the subject by the designer,Dudley Dix are below.
I have not drawn a sail plan for the Lynnhaven but I was approached by someone who wanted to fit an Optimist rig to the Lynnhaven 16 that he was planning to build. I added the Oppie rig to a Lynnhaven profile to show how it would look. I think that this is a viable solution that will be easy and inexpensive. There should be many old Oppie rigs available to buy one and drop it into the boat. It would attach to the aft side of the forward seat, held with U-bolts or similar.
The hole in the bow is to make a simple carrying handle and attachment for ropes. There is a similar one aft as well.

R McB

No comments:

Post a Comment