Sunday 14 August 2011

Fitting an electric fuel pump

This should be simple if its a like pump for a like pump but in some cases it will be an after market addition and if you buy on price alone,you may just pick the wrong pump? Believe it or not pumps are made to either push fluids or in some case pull or suck them,meaning we need to know where our pump will be mounted before we go out and buy one.



This is a brand I have no connection with,the motor factors I bought the pump off supplied another make,also German but when I got back to the garage and I read the fitting instructions,the first thing they ask was 'Do you have the correct pump? ' of course I did not,I needed a fuel pump in the engine bay,while the petrol tank was at the front of the car.

Note,not all fuel pumps will handle both diesel and petrol,so state your intended use when buying.


Another requirement to this make of pump  was it must be below the the level of the carburetors,this can cause a mounting position problem,so I would advise reading the data on which ever pump you choose prior to paying and driving off as I did.

Note the fuse holder,this pump requires a 3amp fuse,so purchase that at the same time!

R McB



No comments:

Post a Comment