Thursday 18 November 2010

Ians Cape Cutter 19 ' Tip Toe' launching in New Zealand

This is a great moment to witness and for Ian and Paula to see happen at last,I say at last but its not taken so long,three years is not a very long time when the job has been fitted in with Ians busy life.Made in South Africa and built in New Zealand,with the Cape Cutter 19 designer now living in the USA,this is truly an international design,we sent one to Mike in Australia too.

Hi Roy,


Big day for me on Tuesday the 9th of November, I launched Tiptoe after three years of building and three days before turning 60. The last few days were something of a mad flurry to complete rigging jobs. She came off her trailer eagerly, floated beautifully on her marks, and received champagne and blessings like the little lady she is. The first thing I did was to leap aboard and test the swinging keel down then up and had a little whoop when that all went smoothly. I started the outboard and motored out and then set genoa and main in a perfect breeze and had the unparalleled delight of that first sail - nothing to beat it - and I was thrilled at the way this gorgeous wee boat performed in a 12 knot breeze.

The only problem I had was that I had not realised that two screw holes from fixing floor bearers to the keel casing had in fact penetrated the casing and had not (foolishly on the part of the builder!!) been properly filled, resulting in a constant trickle of water into the bilge. So, any guys building out there should be warned, take care to see that all holes are properly filled before the big day!

Anyhow, the occasion was a thrill and Tiptoe came back onto her trailer a treat and I have now sorted the little bits and pieces needed to go sailing my new boat again sometime soon.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian & Paula Allen ian.allen@xtra.co.nz

The Gables info@thegables.co.nz

Web Site www.thegables.co.nz

Tel / Fax 64 3 5736772

No comments:

Post a Comment