Sunday 13 December 2009

Gunner Robert McBride

With a christmas season upon us,it may be a good time to release a true story that my late father wrote,dad never really discussed the war but he did write a true story about it,the opening pages are below but if you want to read the full text,go to the link that follows,some of us and I include myself,are lucky not to have been involved in a world war,lets keep it that way.

Roy.

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/pow/rob_mcbride.htm

Robert McBride is in the center.


Rob (bob) McBride is to the left.

Gunner Robert McBride

Unit : Royal Artillery
Served : North Africa (captured)
Army No. : 1500264
POW No. : 140378
Camps : PG 78, Stalag XIA


My Days in the British Army

by Gunner Rob McBride 1500264. Royal Artillery. From July 1939 to April 1945

I am not an advocate for war. Any kind of war causes death, suffering and untold misery. Out of war sometimes will come frustrations and laughter. This is the story of my war, or the very small part I was permitted to play in it. After all these years, I often think was it all really worth it. Why countries of this world cannot live in peace remains to be seen. The wars which have occurred since 1945 are still a reminder, are countries better off afterwards?



July 1939 on the eve of the greatest war in history, aged 20 I was called up in what was then called the first militia. Living then in Birkenhead in Cheshire I didn't have any great distance to travel to my first camp which was at Arrowe Park, Birkenhead. I thought it was great, a soldier in the British Army. I think even then we were half soldier and half civilian, for we were issued with the regulation uniform, and for walking out, were given grey flannel slacks and blue blazer. Once I was asked by a passer by which army did I belong. The blue beret which went with the walking out dress didn't help matters either! But, true to tradition we were given a hard time on how to be a soldier, we were drilled by regular soldiers who really knew their job, and after a few months of Physical Training we were really fit and raring to go. It was hard work but fun. Six months of this and back to civvy street. Little did we know in just a few short months what lay in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment