Friday 12 June 2009

MV Nahlin,a 300 ft long steam boat

Go on,fill your screen with this amazing picture, left click on it to view full size!
MV Nahlin,
Seen here in Whangaroa, New Zealand circa 1930? She is now under reconstruction at Blohm + Voss in Hamburg,Germany,my thanks to John Julian for both the picture and information.

Some weeks back I posted two pictures I took of the most famous sailing boat of all (to me anyway) this was the Atlantic,which set a transatlantic crossing record under sail that stood for so long it seemed the record would never be broken? Due to the power of the world wide web yesterday I recieved a telephone call from one John Julian,a yachting journalist working in New Zealand.John is doing a story about the Atlantic,the old and I suspect the new one that has recently been launched in Holland,it is said to be an exact copy of the hull dimensions,excepting the use of modern build methods and materials means the new boat will be far faster than the original Atlantic?

John wanted permission to use my pictures taken back in 1977,this was a nice request to grant,imagine my pictures taken thirty two (32) years back will soon be in print,I was fortunate to be shown that hulk that day (thanks Charlie) and I wonder if any reader of this blog ever saw her before she was eventually cut up for scrap?

Thanks to John for this stiring picture of a motor yacht now bing restored in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment