Friday 26 December 2008

Famous names in yacht designing,Bob Perry,yacht The Orphan


Not the best scan copy ever made but you will get the general idea,my many thanks to Kathy at Sailing magazine (usa) who replied to my email this morning re which issue Bob Perry had featured this design,with her help we had the archive copy we hold in no time at all,she writes:

Roy,

The Orphan 38 was in the Perry on Design in September 2000.
Happy New Year,
Kathy
Sailing Magazine




Bob Perry,yacht designer

Bob had this design on his board when the person who commisioned it,changed his mind and bought something else,this is what Bob wrote in Sailing magazine on a yacht he ended up calling The Orphan,if I can get a drawing and sail plan I will update this blog with same.

Message from Bob.

The "orphan" lies forgotten in a tube. Even I had forgotten about it.
Bob P.

Orphan 38
Coastal cruiserr

Patrons come and patrons go. Sometimes, right in the middle of an absorbing design, they find another, already built boat that will "do the job." So what can a designer do? Here I sit with an orphaned design of my own forcing me to do the work of a surrogate parent. I designed this boat for an East Coast client who wanted a traditional 38-foot yawl. I've become quite attached to the little hooker. We have bonded.
The hull is moderate beam and displacement on the light side of moderate with a D/L of 213. The entry is slightly hollowed and overhangs are minimized for sailing length. I gave this hull some deadrise because deadrise makes for a natural bilge sump. I consider this hull capable of good performance, but I wouldn't square off against a Mumm 36.

The owner wanted a 6-foot, 4-inch draft, but now that I am the foster parent I have altered the draft to 7 feet, 6 inches. I like a boat that will stand up to its sail and tenaciously claw its way to weather. In Puget Sound draft is not an issue. The rudder is a carbon fiber partially balanced spade.

I struggled with this sheerline. I didn't want to exaggerate it and get the boat looking like a cartoon. On the other hand I wanted a strong sheer statement. The computer can't do it on a design like this. You have to draw the sheer by hand and then transfer the data to the computer. When I look at Ted's sheer on his Bahama sloop I think I'd like to draw this sheerline again.

The rig is a yawl. I drew standing rigging on the mizzen but I think it would be nice to do the mizzen as a carbon fiber free-standing spar. The bowsprit is a pipe frame type that incorporates the anchor rollers. Note the Chuck Paine headstay offset from the masthead. Chuck will chuckle over this, but dammit, it just looks right on this design.

The mizzen will be furled when sailing upwind in any breeze over 10 knots. Mizzen included, the SA/D is 21.05. Chainplates will be inboard to allow the use of a 140-percent genoa. (I added that for Seattle's light air.) The mizzen will make a nice riding sail when the boat is anchored.

The interior is laid out for a couple. The galley is big. My galleys are always big. My client wanted the trash bin where you see it in the drawings, but it really should be closer to the sink. The centerline sinks will work well. The settees are 6 feet, 9 inches long and deep enough to make comfortable berths in a pinch.

Note the large fo'c'sle and expansive lazarette. I'm not wild about fore-and-aft chart tables, but in this layout it's the only way I could get a decent-sized chart table in. The key will be to have a good swing-away seat built. An extra 2 feet of LOA would remedy this. Headroom is 6 feet, 5 inches.

Construction could be in a wood composite method or all composite GRP. I prefer all GRP, and with this healthy D/L ratio you can afford to build this boat strong and durable. Tankage would be 60 gallons of fuel and 120 gallons of water. I would have no genset and only two batteries. I would keep the boat as simple and as light as possible. The auxiliary would be a saildrive Yanmar 51-horsepower 4JH2CE.

I didn't expect to find this baby in a basket sitting on my doorstep when I came to the office that Thursday. But it's a handsome little fellow, and I think it would make someone a darn good and satisfying cruising boat.