Thursday 9 October 2008

The leaving of Liverpool




This will always be a subject close to my heart,it is of course what I did myself,I emigrated to find a new and exciting life elsewhere,I certainaly did! not everyone had the same success,many left after the terrible potato famine in Ireland,imagine,your entire life and future is changed for ever because the potato crops failed,the picture is I beleive of such a family,mother and father,children,bags packed and leaving Liverpool and sailing west to America,it could be any other destination but it fits the needs to this story.

These words are not exactly in the right context with what I have writen above but the places and departures are the same?

Leaving of Liverpool


Fare thee well the Prince's landing stage
River Jersey fare of thee well
I am bound for California
A place I know right well
So fare thee well my own true of
When I return United and we will be
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me
But my darling when I think of thee

Yes I'm bound for California
By the way of the stormy Cape Horn
But you know I'll write you a letter my love
When I am homeward bound

I have shipped on a Yankee clipper ship
Davy Crockett he is her name
And her captain's name is Burges
And they say she's a floating shame

It's my second trip with Burgess in the Crockett
And I reckon to know him well
If a man is a sailor then he'll be all right
But if not why he's sure in hell

Oh the tug is waiting at the Pier Head
To take us down the stream
Her sales are loose and the anchors stowed
So fare thee well again

Fare thee well to lower Frederick Street
Anson terrace and the Old Park Lane
For I know that it's going to be a long long time
Before I see you again

No comments:

Post a Comment